NEWCASTLETON NET FORUM

Return to village homepage | Polysport Pavillion | The Copshaw Clatter | Virtual Tour

Please help by registering today to receive information of upcoming mountain bike events, festival news and village gatherings.

Home » Copshaw Common Riding » Copshaw Common Riding Diary and Links » Plenteous Bunkumos
Plenteous Bunkumos [message #17] Tue, 08 July 2008 14:17 Go to next message
lhogg  is currently offline lhogg
Dear All in Copshaw Holm, thank you for the lovely time I had at the Common Riding. It certainly lived up to it's motto. I'm mad but I was struggling to keep up with that! It was well worth the 40 mile cycle from Gala and I managed to cycle home in 7 and a half hours. Thanks also to Selkirk Village for their feast and the opportunity to participate in the rideout there and the Haggis band. It was a bit like Spurs Night in Gala where the Standard Bearer and a couple of attendants visit the Braw Lads and Lasses. The Battle of Copshaw Holm, as commemorated at the monument, shed light on the origins of the well known nursery rhyme; "Rub-a-dub-dub, three men in a tub". Presumably the force which repulsed the Spanish Armada? Since "three's ayways four in Copshie" the "3" must have been the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker (proprietor of Holm Hardware?) and "the Tub". Funny how many nursery rhymes have their origins in historical events. I hope the common riding is still in profit after the cost of repairs to the right wheel of the red tricycle, the left-footed man's chin and the flag-staff. Being from Gala I was surprised at the relatively minor role of the Flake. In Gala the Braw Lass gets to wear the white jacket and mix the roses so she and the Braw Lad have roughly equal roles. Maybe future Flakes will get to sort the wheat from the chaff or something? Either that or she could get a shot of the flag eg for the Selkirk Village rideout? I didnt' get to the Ball. Did you dance a Tub's reel? I take it the well known dance known as "The Copshie Copshaw" was in the programme. With it's chorus of; "You put the Right Leg in, Right Leg oot. Git in, Git oot. Git in, Git oot. Shake him all aboot. You do the Copshie Copshaw and you turn aroond And that's what it's all aboot." That might make a nice square dance for Tub, Flake, Left and Right Legs. Hope to join you all next year although I might opt for the less hilly cycle via Lilliesleaf. Louise, Gala Copshaw supporter.
Re: Plenteous Bunkumos [message #18 is a reply to message #17 ] Wed, 09 July 2008 16:00 Go to previous message
garyjc  is currently offline garyjc
Glad you enjoyed the day, Louise, hope to see you again next year, you certainly seem mad enough to be involved!! Gary. CCR
Previous Topic:Philip Hedley is 2008 TUB
Next Topic:2009 Tub, The Nominees
Goto Forum:

Current Time:

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01499 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Hosted by: Keynect